Saturday, September 19, 2026

Tribute to a friend: VALERIE RAMPONE’s letter to the family, friends and neighbours of FREDA MARTENS BOEHM 1935-2026

 Kamloops – September 18, 2026

 

To the Boehm Family, Friends and Neighbours,

 

Freda and I connected one Saturday in the early 1990’s when we were both visiting in Surrey; Freda with her daughter Sharon and I with my sister Alanna. Freda was tagging along with Sharon when Sharon stopped by Alanna’s home perhaps to see some of my sister’s craft work. Both Sharon and Alanna worked for BC Bio Labs, I think. We had tea, met, and ended up inviting each other to visit. I was living on Saltspring Island at the time, Freda near Kamloops (Pinantan) where my mother Ruby Westerman lived. I visited Mom several times a year . . . and so began the many adventures and shared times of Freda and Val together.

 

Freda made the ferry trip to check out my house on Saltspring with the sub-plot of meeting my famous neighbour, artist Robert Bateman. We continued the trip with a fun exploration of the road to Tofino on Vancouver Island.  Freda was able to visit with her good friends Whitey and Ruby in that ‘Storm Watching’ capital of the World and I got to cross Tofino off my ‘Bucket’ list. It had become increasingly embarrassing to admit I hadn’t been to the iconic spot. A few years later in Kamloops at my Mom’s place, the house rang with Freda’s uproarious laughter as the 3 of us perused a Christmas gift of a rather risqué calendar of well endowed Firemen. Freda’s laughter was always contagious!

 

Freda and I kept up a dance of moving locations; I left my island home for the sagebrush hills of Kamloops to care for my mom; Freda gave up bi-weekly bus trips to and fro Maple Ridge to share life with Andy full time. Later, in Kamloops, I took wedding photos and checked out their new condo when she’d convinced Andy to move up from the ‘Coast’ leaving Maple Ridge life behind.

 

We shared Life – Births, Deaths and all between.  It’s called Friendship.

 

Bon Voyage, My Friend Freda, till we meet again.

Valerie Rampone

 





No comments:

Post a Comment